It may have survived service during the Cold War, but a bomber which is on show at the RAF Museum Cosford is finding the passage of time a bit more of a challenge.
The Lincoln B2 bomber which is undergoing a service and maintenance at RAF Cosford Museum
The Aerospace Museum Society is now treating corrosion and oil leaks in the engines of the Avro Lincoln B2 RF398, which first flew in September 1945 and now resides in the museum’s war planes hangar. Work is also being carried out on its engine bays.
Spokesman Michelle Morgans said: “Panels have been taken down to allow the society members access to the areas that need to be treated.
Further to that work, the RAF Museum Conservation Centre’s team of skilled technicians will be removing the engines and their frames one by one to check their integrity. All of these checks are part of the maintenance rotation.”
But it was destined for a short front line career because the Cold War and the jet age showed it was outdated.
Some 583 Lincolns were built to equip around 20 squadrons. But they were no match for jet fighters and by 1950 they had been partially replaced.
The bomber did see action against communist forces in Malaya in 1950 and Mau-Mau dissidents in Kenya from 1953, before finally being superseded by the jet V-Bomber force from 1955.
The last Lincolns in RAF service were engaged in radar development trials with No 151 Squadron, Signals Command until May 1963.
The RF398 was moved to RAF Cosford in 1968 and has been maintained by the museum ever since.